Favorite Quotes

Killing Commendatore

This is a story of a painter who is going through a divorce. The whole 700 pages describe a 9-month span, written in two parts. Now I can't say anything more without spoiling it for you. I like reading books with as fewer details as possible about the plot and I wish the same for you. It took me 15 days to finish this book. Part 1 is quite slow, which put me in a kind of slump. The second part is where the book picks pace. In this world of Murakami, ideas are manifested as people (much like small people) and metaphor is an entirely different world like the wonderland from Alice in the wonderland. The book takes its inspiration from some renowned classics like Great Gatsby and The picture of Dorian Grey.
Murakami loves the great gatsby and this book is kind of a homage to it. There are some plot similarities and character similarities but that's it. The world is entirely different. It has all the trademark Murakami elements. Some scene felt straight through the Kafka on the shore. The characters are well developed some I liked, some I did not and for some, I did not bother to consider. Surprisingly I hated this book when I finished it. Nothing made sense, I was so confused. But I took 2 whole days to think about it and a thorough discussion with @thebookishtales to grasp everything. There are obviously layers to the plot and you can deduce your own story from the plot. I think that's what Murakami wants when he writes the book. And that's the thing which always leaves me awestruck about his books.
.
To summarize what I got from this novel "Sometimes it's not bad to kill some ideas to get something better in life."
.
.
.
What I like:-
-The magical elements of the book.
-The characters.
-The detail Murakami puts in.
.

.
.
What I didn't like:-
- The book is a tad bit lenghty.

- Part 1 was very slow. 
- Maybe the translation could have been better.
.
.

.
.
I finally decided to give this book a 4.25 star. And definitely, this is not a book if you are new to Murakami.
 

Comments

Popular Posts

2018 Reading Challenge

2018 Reading Challenge
Anant has read 21 books toward his goal of 40 books.
hide

Recent Reads