Favorite Quotes

Lolita


There are so many things I want to quote from the book. There is so much welled up inside me about this book that I want to write. But it all so chaotic that if I let it out my dear readers, it may come out as a mess and I don't want readers to get the wrong idea of my feelings about this book. 
Lolita or a confession of a white widowed male. Or inside the shoes of a pervert or memoirs of an old guy who is into young girls or a book you think is about a pedophile and you are totally right, It is.
This book is one of the finest literary pieces that I read till now. Although as illiterate I am when it comes to English it was hard for me to read this book. The choice of words is so thoughtful that I think Nabokov has spent years just picking the exact ones. Reading Lolita was a challenge for me and by no means, I am saying that I devoured every piece of this feast. There may be crumbs I left which I may have left for my future self to savor. Please don't get the wrong idea that this review or the book romanticize pedophilia. There were times when I hated reading this book. I contemplated the idea of abandoning this book in half-way many times. Worst torture of all is to put yourself in the shoes of Humbert. Much Obscene this plot of the book is. The prose style of writing veil the brutal details. There are moments which made me want to throw this book out of the window. And the worst thing of all about this book is you can't help but sympathize with the narrator. However, you and Humbert both are well aware of his dwellings. In such a way Nabokov didn't even created the most unreliable narrator but even manipulated his readers. If the last two chapters weren't as they were now. I would have discarded this book as another mediocre classic. This book has the most enchanting starting and ending chapters. Although I found some middle parts a bit dragging and including Humbert absolute atrocious thoughts. Humbert is the most complex character I ever come across in the Literary world.
I am writing this all just after just finishing the book so my thoughts may be clouded by emotions. I will let it settle in. For now, this is the best book I read this year.

Comments

Popular Posts

2018 Reading Challenge

2018 Reading Challenge
Anant has read 21 books toward his goal of 40 books.
hide

Recent Reads